TeachMeGIS curriculum, KCGIS Center instructor
See also Intermediate ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Pro Quick-Start for the GIS Professional
GIS Software Used
ArcGIS Pro version 2.x
This is a beginner-level GIS class and introduces participants to fundamental GIS concepts using the ArcGIS Pro software. The class begins with the basics of navigating the map and walks through the process of creating maps, optimizing the display of the data, and performing spatial analysis. At the completion of this class, those attending will have a strong foundation in GIS concepts, the basic use of ArcGIS Pro, and have an understanding of the strengths of performing spatial analysis with a GIS.
This class is for anyone who is new to GIS and wants to create maps and explore data in ArcGISPro. Experienced GIS users who want to make the switch from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro should check out ArcGIS Pro Quick-Start for the GIS Professional instead of this class.
- Overview of GIS
- An introduction to the concepts of GIS and spatial problem solving
- An overview of the ArcGIS platform
- ArcGIS Pro Basics: Getting familiar with the ArcGIS Pro interface
- Starting a new project
- Navigating a map
- Working with the ribbons, panes, and views
- Working with Layers
- Understanding the Feature Layer
- Setting layer appearance properties
- Getting access to the data behind the maps
- Using Symbology to Analyze Data
- Setting symbology and display properties to make a better, more manageable map
- Begin analyzing data
- Asking Questions of Your Data
- Selecting features on the map by running SQL queries on the data tables
- Looking at spatial relationships of the features
- Understanding GIS Data: Getting familiar with GIS data formats
- The file geodatabase and the shapefile
- Using the Catalog pane to manage and make connections to GIS data sources
- Connecting to a Portal
- Accessing data in the cloud or in an on-premise portal
- Bringing web maps and web layers into your ArcGIS Pro project
- Designing Your Map for Presentation
- Designing map layouts to present and share your work as hardcopy or digital maps
- Using a variety of the geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS to manipulate and manage your GIS data and to perform spatial analysis
- Beginner Editing
- Drawing new features
- Editing existing shapes and attributes
In-person instruction with hands-on practice and course materials you can keep.
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Attendees should be comfortable working on a computer and navigating the folder structure in Microsoft Windows®. Ideally, you would be familiar with the basics of ArcGIS Online, having worked through these quick lessons, or have equivalent knowledge.
What You Will Receive
- 15 hours of instruction from a CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer (CTT).
- Use of a student PC while in class, with appropriate GIS software and access to training data.
- A TeachMeGIS student workbook (to keep) which includes the lecture slides, exercises, and a DVD of the training data.
- Upon completion, a signed completion certificate which will indicate the CEUs (1.5) and GISCI points (0.375) earned.
- KCGIS Center’s 30 for 30 Support—30 minutes of phone, email, or face-to-face support within 30 days after class completion. This is our commitment to you to help ensure that you can apply your new GIS skills successfully.