TeachMeGIS curriculum, KCGIS Center instructor
See also Fundamentals of ArcGIS and Data Management in the Geodatabase
No sessions are scheduled. Instead, the King County GIS Center is now teaching Intermediate ArcGIS Pro. However, you can arrange to have Intermediate GIS Concepts (for ArcGIS 10.x) taught to your team by special request. Please see our Custom & on-site training page to learn how.
GIS Software Used
ArcGIS Desktop version 10.x.
ArcGIS has much more functionality than simple map display and navigation. It has many tools for collecting, creating, and analyzing data. This three-day class teaches advanced skills for using ArcGIS. See how to connect information between tables and mark locations on the map. Practice managing data files, creating new data, and putting the data to work to generate answers to questions.
This class is for those who already know the basics of ArcGIS and want to expand their skills with the software and with GIS in general.
- GIS Data Sources: Where does all the data come from? Who creates it? How can you access it?
- Projection Basics: Understand the importance of making sure your data is in the right place. See
real-life examples of issues inaccurate spatial locations can cause.
- Bringing Data into ArcGIS: Take paper maps and place them into correct spatial locations, import
or export data from Google Earth, and more.
- Joins and Relates: Connect a parcel dataset to a spreadsheet of owner information that has no
- Creating GIS Data: Create your own GIS data files.
- Beginner Editing: Create your own GIS data and make changes to existing data.
- Creating Templates and Editing Attributes: Make your editing and data creation more efficient
with custom feature templates and en masse table editing techniques.
- Advanced Editing: Employ some data QC techniques by ensuring that the boundaries and
intersections between features that touch are accurate.
- Geoprocessing Tools: Build right-of-way polygons, find potential flood zones, and combine
datasets to showcase school zones with potential hazards.
- Advanced Layouts: Learn additional techniques for making a clean map layout. Clip the data frame
to the outline of a layer. Add a grid to show coordinates. Show how different data frames relate to
one another. Create a set of multiple maps for a whole area, such as one for each parcel.
- Labeling Features: Display important information about your features with a variety of techniques.
Adjust the appearance and placement of labels for maximum effect, while still emphasizing what
is most important.
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Students should have knowledge of Microsoft Windows® and be familiar with the basic use of ArcGIS, including the topics covered in Fundamentals of ArcGIS.
What You Will Receive
- 22.5 hours of instruction from a CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer (CTT).
- Use of a student PC while in class, with appropriate GIS software and access to training data.
- A TeachMeGIS student workbook (to keep) which includes the lecture slides, exercises, and a DVD of the training data.
- Upon completion, a signed completion certificate which will indicate the CEUs (2.25) and GISCI points (0.5625) earned.
- KCGIS Center’s 30 for 30 Support—30 minutes of phone, email, or face-to-face support within 30 days after class completion. This is our commitment to you to help ensure that you can apply your new GIS skills successfully.
Our Students Speak
“I liked that there were a lot of examples along the way. I also liked how the examples started fresh with each lesson. In the past, I've been in an environment where the examples built on each other, so if you made a small mistake early in the class, it was difficult to fix later on."
“Very good class. We covered a lot of material, but the instructor managed to cover it in adequate depth and keep it engaging."
“This class far exceeded my expectations, boosted my confidence in using ArcMap, and is one I recommend as a model for our other training."
"Well put together, informative, comfortable, helpful, great!"