Yard Talk: Dirt Simple Tips for Natural Yard Care
Episode 5: "Weeds"
Synopsis: Greg and Doug review what you need to know about managing weeds. From the best and easiest ways to remove simple garden weeds to how to manage noxious weeds such as ivy and Giant Hogweed.
Greg and Doug check in with local weed expert, Sasha Shaw, as she demonstrates how to safely handle Giant Hogweed, the sap of which can be harmful. (Read more about Giant Hogweed.)
Next, they visit Vashon Island where they meet up with Tammy Dunakin and her herd of weed-eating goats.
Tips & Tricks
How to avoid spreading noxious weeds.
- Check to make sure you are not planting noxious weeds.
- Clean your recreational equipment.
- Don't dump aquariums.
- Contain garden waste.
- Join community work parties.
- How to safely remove and dispose of Giant Hogweed.
- The best tools for easily removing garden weeds.
- How to use geotextile fabric for weed control.
- How to rescue trees from ivy.
(Weed eating goats!)
Please Note: This list of resources is provided by King County as a courtesy to the public and does not endorse or guarantee the quality of the service offered or provided.
Check schedule for air times.
Yard Talk is brought to you by KCTV and the King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks.
For questions about this web page, please contact Greg Rabourn, Community Stewardship Specialist, Water and Land Resources Division.