Strategic Climate Action Plan (SCAP) - Measuring our Progress
King County provides a comprehensive report on implementation of its Strategic Climate Action Plan each two years. The most recent report was published in June 2018 for progress through the end of 2017. The next report will be published in August 2020 as part of a comprehensive update to the 2015 SCAP.
2017 Strategic Climate Action Plan Biennial Report – published June 2018
- 2017 Biennial Report - King County Strategic Climate Action Plan - 3.7 MB PDF
- Executive Dow Constantine’s Transmittal Letter for the 2017 Biennial Report - 184 KB PDF
King County government has a long record of action to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and prepare for the impacts of climate change, but we must do much more. This biennial report assesses progress in meeting SCAP goals and delivering priority actions at two scales: County operations and community (across King County). Where the County has direct responsibility, the report shows we are mostly on track to meet our targets. The report also details that more action is needed to achieve the SCAP’s ambitious community-wide targets.
Here are just a few of the recent successes highlighted in the report:
- Our growth in transit ridership is among the fastest in the country
- We exceeded our building energy efficiency goals for County-operated buildings and facilities.
- Through partnership with Puget Sound Energy (PSE) we secured clean, in-state wind power to meet our operational electricity needs in PSE service territory
- King County and partners have planted 330,000 trees toward our community goal of planting 1 Million Trees by 2020.
- We formed new climate partnerships with immigrant, refugee, and frontline community organizations.
- We partnered to launch the Puget Sound Climate Preparedness Collaborative, a new forum for regional preparedness.
Performance Update - 2016 Snapshot
2016 saw important progress across King County’s Strategic Climate Actin Plan goal areas. Explore the below two page performance update documents for each SCAP “Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions” Goal Area. Note: this information is out of date compared to more recent data included in the 2017 Biennial Report.
2015 Strategic Climate Action Plan Annual Report
The 2015 Annual Report provided a comprehensive update on implementation of King County’s Strategic Climate Action Plan. Note: this information is out of date compared to more recent data included in the 2017 Biennial Report.Download: