Photos from Inland Fishes of Washington by Whitney and Wydoski, © 1979 University of Washington Press. Reprinted by permission of the University of Washington Press.
- In males, back and sides are bright red to dirty red-gray, head is bright to olive green, tail is green to black
- In females, colors not as bright, but red above lateral line
- NO distinct spots on back or tail fin
- Males have a large dorsal hump
- Range in length from 20-28 inches
- Early August through late December
Now that you know all about identifying salmon in streams, test yourself! Click on the mystery fish page to find out more!