Skip to main content
King County logo

On January 3rd, 2020, Adult Beverage Ordinance 19030 officially went into effect. This ordinance updated development regulations related to all adult beverage facilities in unincorporated King County, which includes wineries, breweries, distilleries (WBD) and remote tasting rooms. The changes made by this ordinance help King County prepare for and support the future of the adult beverage industry as it evolves in the region by better implementing and complying with the policies of the King County Comprehensive Plan, Countywide Planning Policies, and the Growth Management Act.

A business license is required in unincorporated King County for all adult beverage businesses. The license fee is $100.

King County will notify all applicants within thirty days of applying if their business license has been approved. If approved, their business license application will be approved for one year or conditionally approved for six months. In the case of a six month conditional business license, King County will send each applicant a letter with additional actions that are needed to bring their adult beverage business into compliance. To renew the adult beverage business license at the end of the six month conditional business license, each applicant will need to demonstrate substantial progress in bringing their adult beverage facility into compliance. If renewed, the conditional business license will be valid for six additional months in which the business should be brought into full compliance. After the first year, all adult beverage business licenses will need to be renewed on an annual basis.

Additional Information

Operation of a Adult Beverage Business facility may require additional permits. See the Adult Beverage Business information sheet.

Adult Beverage Business zoning summary and Demonstration Project Areas (DPA) map for Tasting Rooms

Adult Beverage Business Temporary Use Permit (TUP) event information

Adult Beverage Business affidavit for use of on-site agricultural products

Adult Beverage Business License Application

To obtain a copy of an Adult Beverage business license application, please:

  • Call the Department of Local Services, Permit Center at 206-296-6600

*Note: To view PDFs, free software from Adobe is required. Word documents require Microsoft software. For assistance, see helpful hints.

To request this information in alternate formats for people with disabilities, call 206-296-6600 or TTY Relay: 711.