Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday, Nov. 22-23, 2018, for the Thanksgiving holiday.  
King County logo

Businesses operating in King County come under the jurisdiction of State, County, and, where applicable, City regulations. The location of the business, as well as the nature and scope of the business, determines what types of business licenses are required.

A King County business license is required only for a few types of businesses as explained below. If a King County business license is required:

  • The Permitting Department in Snoqualmie issues the licenses for:

    • amusement/dance places
    • amusement devices
    • charitable solicitation
    • entertainers and managers
    • junk shops and wagons
    • massage businesses and bathhouses
    • outdoor musical entertainment
    • pawnshops
    • secondhand dealers and shooting ranges located or operating in unincorporated King County.

    See types of licenses and regulated business activity for more information.

  • Records and Licensing Services, with its main office in downtown Seattle, issues the licenses for pet businesses, taxicabs and for-hire drivers, and process servers.

Important - please note:

  • A King County business license is required only if:

    1. The business engages in a regulated activity and

    2. The business is located in and/or operates in unincorporated King County.

      See types of licenses for more information.

  • If the business is located in unincorporated King County, the business must be in compliance with zoning code regulations. See business zoning for more information on conducting a business out of your home or other zoning questions.

    • If the business is located or operates within city limits of any incorporated city in King County (such as Seattle, Kent, Issaquah, etc.), you must check with the city instead of King County to find out the city's requirements for business licenses. For more information, see city licenses.

For more information

The Permitting Department can address questions only about the types of business licenses that it issues (see list).

For general business license questions, you must contact Washington State Business Licensing at 1-800-451-7985.

Related topics

External links

Washington State: