For nonprofit organizations
Become an eligible nonprofit today!
The surplus program offers surplus furniture and office equipment to eligible nonprofit organizations free of charge.
To determine if your organization is eligible, complete the Eligibility Application and return your completed application to the Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS). DCHS staff will review your application and determine your eligibility based on your organization's alignment to the King County Council's adopted service priority areas.
- After a nonprofit organization is determined eligible, they may contact the surplus warehouse to inquire about the availability of desired item(s) at 206-263-9820 or email@example.com.
- If desired item(s) are available, the organization may inspect the item(s) by scheduling a time with the surplus warehouse or by visiting the warehouse during viewing hours.
- If the item(s) meet the organization’s needs, they may claim the item(s) on a “first come, first served” basis.
- The organization must complete a transfer of property agreement and remove the item(s) from the surplus warehouse.
The surplus warehouse is open Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., closed from noon - 1 p.m.
The warehouse is housed at 707 S. Orcas St., on the corner of S. Orcas St. and 7th Ave S., in Georgetown.
In 1998, the King County Council passed Motion No. 10477 to establish policies to guide the distribution of surplus property to nonprofit organizations serving King County residents. This motion listed the following service priorities for eligible nonprofit organizations:
- Storage, transportation and distribution of food to citizens in need
- Transportation of youth and elderly to government or community services
- Services to special populations such as the disabled, mentally ill, homeless, victims of domestic violence or abuse, veterans and refugees
- Counseling, crime prevention, health, advocacy and crisis intervention services to low-income populations
- Affordable housing or related service
- Children and family services