Transit Tunnel Elevator Refurbishing Project
Metro Transit is refurbishing elevators in the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel stations with partial funding from the Federal Transit Administration. The tunnel elevators are 25 years old, have been heavily used, and need upgrades. The renovated elevators will be more reliable, provide a smoother ride, and be more energy-efficient.
All four elevators at International District/Chinatown Station, six at Pioneer Square Station, five at University Street Station, and seven at Westlake Station will be refurbished. The work will be completed in mid-2018.
Current and upcoming elevator closures for refurbishing
- University Station: Northbound side, north end of station. October through November.
- Westlake Station: Northbound side, north end of station. October through November.
Frequently asked questions
Elevators will be refurbished at the following stations during the months shown (subject to change):
- University Station - October through November 2016
- Westlake Station - October through November 2016
- International District Station - November 2016 through January 2017
Metro will refurbish only one elevator on a platform at a time so that an alternative elevator will always be available. It will take six to eight weeks to refurbish each elevator.
Crews will be replacing most of the elevator parts and systems. The refurbished elevators must then be tested and inspected by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.
- Metro will place a sign at the closed elevator that will guide you to an alternative elevator.
- If you need assistance, ask a security officer in the tunnel to help you.
Metro will do everything possible to keep at least one elevator operating at each station platform at all times. If the alternative elevator unexpectedly goes out of service, customers can ride a bus or Link train to the next tunnel station and use the elevator there. Tunnel security officers can assist passengers who need directions. Metro will dispatch a crew to repair the back-up elevator as quickly as possible.
Call Metro Facilities, 206-477-3900, 6 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon-Fri to talk to a live person; leave a message at other times.
For Metro Customer Service call 206-553-3000.