South Campus Expansion
Building on existing operations in Tukwila
- Interim Base at South Campus - Metro will construct an interim bus base next to the existing South Base to add capacity for approximately 125 buses. After opening in the fall of 2020, Metro will install infrastructure necessary to test and operate battery-electric buses.
- South Annex Base - Metro will design and construct the South Annex Base to add capacity for 250 buses on land currently occupied by Metro’s Training Center and Construction Management Office. This base will be built with battery electric bus conversion at the forefront. The Training Center will relocate to leased facilities near the South Campus.
The improvements to Metro’s South Campus are part of Metro’s overall base expansion plan.
Crews completed demolition of the old Group Health warehouse and are now ready to start building the new base. By September of 2020, the cleared site will begin serving as an operations and maintenance facility, ramping up to approximately 125 buses as the new Interim Base at South Campus.
Interim Base features will include:
- 21,600-square-foot vehicle maintenance building
- 10,400-square-foot operations building
- 4,800-square-foot office building
- 375-square-foot workspace for team members that direct bus drivers within the base
Once completed, the Interim Base will become the testing, charging, operating, and maintenance ground for Metro’s first major purchase of all-electric buses in 2021.
South Annex Base will be a new maintenance and operations base located on our South Campus, adjacent to South Base. The site is the current home of Metro’s Training and Safety Center and Construction Management Office. The property will be redeveloped to achieve the following goals:
- Support of approximately 250 hybrid-electric coaches by 2025 to allow for seamless future conversion to an all-electric fleet, including operations and maintenance.
- Consistent with King County’s Green Building Ordinance and Strategic Climate Action Plan, the base will be built, maintained, and operated with the highest green building and sustainable development practices.
- Integrate with the South Campus for efficient operations.