Sheriff's fingerprint services
The King County Courthouse location of the Sheriff’s Office can provide fingerprinting services for private reasons (adoptions, schools, jobs, etc.), only if you live in unincorporated King County (citizens in unincorporated King County live outside of the city limits) or one of our Contract Cities (Beaux Arts, Burien, Carnation, Covington, Kenmore, Maple Valley, Muckleshoot, Newcastle, Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Skykomish, and Woodinville).
If you do not live in a contract city and need to determine if the King County Sheriff can provide fingerprinting services for you, click here https://gismaps.kingcounty.gov/parcelviewer2 and follow these instructions:
- Look for the empty box in the top left corner of the screen
- Type the street address (separated by a comma) and the city
- Select "search" - located next to the address drop down menu
- The parcel information should display in a pop-up box
- If the listed jurisdiction says King County, fingerprinting services for private reasons are still available at the King County Courthouse. If the jurisdiction lists a city name, please click here (Adobe Acrobat Reader required) to find a location that can offer assistance. You may always call us at 206-263-2626 for more assistance.
If you wish to make use of the fingerprinting services we provide to the community, you will need:
- The fee.
- Current picture ID.
- A fingerprint card or an OAI, if applicable (see note below).
Payment and Fees -This information only applies to citizens of unincorporated King County, or one of our contract cities who provide fingerprint services.
Fees may be paid by cash, a personal check (made payable to the King County Sheriff's Office) or money order.
- Up to two sets of prints: $17 (as of January 1, 2017)
- Each additional set: $6 (as of January 1, 2017)
Personal checks or money orders should be made payable to the King County Sheriff's Office. Please note that we do not accept second party checks.
Personal checks must be:
- Preprinted, listing name, address, and phone number.
- Verified by two (2) pieces of identification. One of these must be a Washington State Driver’s License or I.D. card with a photograph or a major credit card. The customer’s I.D and the information on the personal check must match.
- Made payable to KING COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE.
Fingerprint Cards and Originating Agency Identifier
We now use Live Scan "inkless" fingerprinting technology, which will print out fingerprint cards for you. This technology complies with all national standards and formats and can be used in place of inked cards, regardless of where the cards are being submitted.
If an agency you are applying to has given you a fingerprint card, or an OAI (Originating Agency Identifier) number, please bring that information so that we can transfer the information to your scanned and printed card.
For any and all services provided by the Records Unit, it is recommended that you arrive at our downtown location no later than 3pm to ensure adequate time to fulfill your requests.
During holiday seasons and following major incidents beyond our control, it is best to arrive by 2pm to ensure your requests and needs are met.
For any and all fingerprint services or any CPL application please arrive no later than 3:30pm.
Locations and Times
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave, Rm W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2626
Current Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm, weekdays **Effective March 12, 2018, our office hours will be 8:00am - 4:00pm. License applications are accepted only until 3:30pm.**
Closed weekends and holidays