I found a stray pet
Have you found a stray animal that you're not sure what to do with? Here are a few simple steps you can take to help get the animal returned to its owner...
Keep in Mind If you are successful in locating the stray pet's owner, please call us at (206) 296-7387 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can close out the lost and/or found report(s).
Step-by-Step Instructions on Dealing with a Stray
- If you can safely do so, check to see if the animal has a license or identification tag. Owners will often put a phone number directly on the tag or collar. You may be able to reunite the lost pet with its owner without having to call us.
- If the pet is wearing a Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC) license tag, call the number on the tag (206-296-2712) and have the six-digit license number available. When you call, you will either reach our pet licensing staff or our automated voice response system. Give the license number to our staff, or enter the number when prompted by the automated system. You will be given the pet owner's phone number so you can contact them directly to return their pet.
- Check the Search Lost Pets database to verify if the animal you have found has been reported missing by its owner.
- If the animal is not aggressive and you would like to keep it in your home while we try to locate its owner, please fill out the Found Pet Report (see below). If you are unable to complete a Found Pet Report online, call us at (206) 296-3936 and we will help you complete a report. Note: All pets should be scanned for a microchip and a picture should be provided to help get them home. If you are not able to upload a picture when submitting the online pet report, please bring the pet to the Pet Adoption Center in Kent. We will take a picture and scan the pet for a microchip.
- If you are unable to keep the animal in your home, bring it to the Pet Adoption Center in Kent or your local animal shelter. Since we are the animal control provider for much of King County, most owners will check our facility first. We will hold the pet through its stray holding period. If unclaimed, the animal's temperament and health will be assessed for entry into our adoption program.
- For your safety, do not attempt to approach an aggressive and/or scared animal. If you can safely contain the lost animal in your yard, your garage, or a kennel, please call us at (206) 296-7387 and we will pick the animal up (hours of operation: 7 days a week / 7:30 am to 6:30 pm).
Search Lost Pets
Click the button below to search the database of pets that have been reported missing.