For-hire online training & examination
Tips to Succeed
Overview of the For-Hire eTraining
The For-Hire eTraining is a self-paced online training that has been created to help you better prepare for the for-hire driver's examination. At any time during the online learning course, you may leave this platform. Just remember to hit the "save" button so that when you return you will be redirected to the last page you viewed. Once you have completed all the sessions, you will receive an email confirmation of completion which will also be automatically sent to King County for-hire licensing services department.
Overview of the Online For-Hire Examination
The Online For-Hire Examination consists of 40 questions, 25 of the questions will focus on geography and 15 of the questions on other topics. In order to pass the exam, you will need to obtain a score of 80% or greater. Questions may be true/false, multiple choice, matching and audio. You will have 45 minutes to complete the exam. King County will notify you via email of your score.
Tips on How to Best Prepare:
- Be prepared! Before taking the exam, you must first review the study material and take the practice exam.Take the time to thoroughly review the material provided.
- Choose a comfortable location for taking the exam with good lighting and minimal distractions.
- Make sure to check electronic devices before using them for the e-training or online examination.
- View the exam as an opportunity to show how much you've studied and learned.
When logging into the test:
- Take a moment to read and understand the General Overview and Terms of Agreement before proceeding.
- Verify your information has been accurately and completely filled out. Failing to do so may result in your score being voided. Please note that successfully passing the for-hire examination requires answering a minimum of 32 out of 40 questions correctl (minimum 80% passing grade).
- The log-in page requires a driver's license number -- be sure to enter all letters, numbers and special characters (please see below for image examples).
During the test:
- Read the directions for the exam and each question carefully.
- Every question must be answered in order. You will not be allowed to review and/or change your previous answers.
- Manage your exam time -- don't spend too much time on a single question.
- Any unanswered exam questions will be counted as an incorrect answer.
- On difficult questions, eliminate as many incorrect answers as you can, then make an educated guess among those remaining.
- Don't panic, take a few deep breaths. Change positions to help you relax.