Skip to main content
King County logo

A lot of information is readily available online for those in the business of buying and selling properties to perform their own extensive research on buildings and land in King County.

Property research. Use online property research tools to find zoning (allowed use), district (fire, school, water, etc.), planning, and Assessor (property description and valuation data) information on property. Look up property using an address, parcel number or street intersection. Check jurisdiction and zoning instructions are online. For permit information on property in unincorporated King County, see Permitting's online permit search.

FAQ. Answers to frequently asked questions about land use and permitting issues in unincorporated King County are available at FAQ. Real estate professionals may find About my property FAQ, which addresses zoning, setbacks, subdividing, and permitted use questions among others, especially helpful.

  • Rebuild letter/zoning certification. Those in the real estate industry frequently ask Permitting for a rebuild letter or zoning certification. To receive one, only a written request with fee of $205 is required. Drop off the request and fee to the Permitting Cashier or mail to Department of Permitting, 35030 SE Douglas Street, Suite 210, Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266 (see map and directions).

Getting started. Free sources for information as well as customized property research options are outlined at Getting started with the permit process.

Critical areas designation. Real estate professionals may be especially interested in critical areas designations (CAD) because they are advantageous to both buyers and sellers of property. A CAD helps to identify buildable areas, is valid for five years, and may be transferred to a new owner. Please see critical areas designations for more information.

King County Code. The entire King County Code is online at To find permitted uses for property in a zone district, refer to Chapter 21A.08 of the King County Code.

Requests for records or permit history. See Records Center at the Department of Permitting to research building and land use permits that have been finalized or closed for property in unincorporated King County.