Skip to main content
King County logo

What is the purpose of rezone?

A rezone, or zone reclassification, allows the reclassification of the parcel zoning as delineated on zoning maps and adopted by King County ordinance. Zoning on the parcel governs the permitted uses and development standards for properties in unincorporated King County. A rezone is also used to process p-suffix amendments, which are changes to site-specific conditions adopted by King County Council.

How much will it cost?

See the Permitting Department's current fee schedule for an estimate.

Where can I get an application?

  • Refer to the Rezones Packet for application materials
  • Request an application packet by mail by calling the Permitting Department's customer service at 206-296-6600 or
  • Pick up an application packet at the Permitting Department in Snoqualmie (see map and directions).

How do I submit my application?

See information on pre-applications as a pre-application meeting is mandatory prior to filing an application for a rezone. For more information, refer to the individual application forms in the packets above and to Applying for a permit at the Permitting Department.

What is the timeline for processing this permit?

Decision type 4: 120 days.

Notes / Comments

For more information:

  • Type 1-4 Applicant Designation
  • See zone designations in Section 21A.04.010* of the King County Code (KCC)
  • See property specific standards in KCC Chapter 21A.38*
  • See required findings for re-zoning in KCC 20.24.180* and 20.24.190*

Legal authority

Title 20* and Title 21A of the King County Code

Administered by

The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review. For questions, please contact customer service at 206-296-6600.