Skip to main content
King County logo

What is the purpose of a special use permit?

The special use permit process assures that a proposed use is reasonably compatible with adjacent and nearby properties. This process requires a public hearing before a Hearing Examiner and ordinance adoption by the King County Council.

What activities require this permit?

A special use permit is required to establish most regional land uses (for example, jails and land-fills) and some other types of proposed land uses.

Note: Not to be confused with the special use permit (King County property) required by King County Real Estate Services.

How much will it cost?

See the Permitting Department's current fee schedule for an estimate.

Where can I get an application?

  • Refer to the Special Use Permits Packet for application materials
  • Request an application packet by mail by calling the Permitting Department's customer service at 206-296-6600 or
  • Pick up an application packet at the Permitting Department in Snoqualmie (see map and directions).

What is the timeline for processing this permit?

Decision type 4: 120 days.

Notes / Comments

For more information:

Legal authority

Title 21A of the King County Code

Administered by

The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review. For questions, please contact customer service at 206-296-6600.