Skip to main content
King County logo

What is the purpose of a reasonable use exception?

A reasonable use exception (RUE) is used only when all reasonable uses of a site, as allowed by adopted zoning, is denied as result of critical areas.

How much will it cost?

See the Permitting Department current fee schedule for an estimate.

Where can I get an application?

  • Refer to the Reasonable Use Exceptions Packet for application materials.
  • Request an application packet by mail by calling the Permitting Department customer service at 206-296-6600 or
  • Pick up an application packet at the Permitting Department in Snoqualmie (see map and directions).

How do I submit my application?

See information on pre-applications as a pre-application meeting is required prior to filing a reasonable use exception application. The application must be filed in person at the Permitting Customer Service Center. An appointment with Permitting staff is required to file the application. Call 206-296-6797 to schedule the appointment. For more information, refer to Applying for a Permit at the Permitting Department.

What is the timeline for processing a reasonable use exception?

Decision type 2: 120 days.

Notes / Comments

For more information:

Legal authority

Section 21A.24.070* of the King County Code

Administered by

The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review. For questions, please contact customer service at 206-296-6600.