Skip to main content
King County logo

For a junk vehicle of your own, call 206-296-4437. Your vehicle will be examined and, if it meets certain criteria, you may receive a junk vehicle certificate. Follow the directions provided and you will be able to get the vehicle towed away.

Resources for disposing or recycling unwanted items, including vehicles and vehicle parts, are available at

For an abandoned vehicle on a King County road right-of-way, call 206-205-0969.

The activity may be illegal, but that can be determined only after code research and a site visit from a Permitting Department Code Enforcement Officer. Urban residential zones have more restrictions than do rural areas. It is permissible to conduct a home occupation, provided that the business meets standards established for that use.

Any complaint regarding business use of a residence needs a site visit to determine if violations exist. Complaints may be made confidentially (simply state that you wish to remain confidential when filing your complaint). To file a complaint:

A Permitting Department Code Enforcement Officer will need to research the lot size and zoning to determine what is legal for a particular site. There are limitations to the number of vehicles that can be parked on urban residential sites.

Staff also will look at vehicle ownership and whether the vehicles are operable. Vehicles cannot be parked on unimproved surfaces such as grass or soil. To file a complaint: