Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Martin Luther King Day.  
King County logo

Information for engineers and surveyors in the preparation and submittal of site plan or survey drawings to the Department of Local Services, Permitting Division (Permitting).  If you have any questions regarding the contents or use of these drawing files, please contact the Permitting at 206-296-6600 or email

General information

Specifications for computer aided drafting shall be used which follow standards established by the American Public Works Association (external link).

CAD engineering drawings available for download
Description File Name
24" x 36" Standard Engineering Plan Template KCPLAN12.dwg
11" x 17" Residential Site Plan Templates King_County_Residentail_Site_Plans_Templates_08-01-2015.dwg
Other available documents

For a download of the current notes that are required on all engineering plan submittals to Permitting, see the Surface Water Design Manual.

If your project is a plat or short plat, also see the Engineering Review Submittal Checklist for Final Plats.

Bond Quantities Worksheet: The Bond Quantity Worksheet is available in two formats: Bond Quantities Worksheet  (PDF) or Bond Quantities Worksheet (spreadsheet) to view or print.

Drainage Documents: Go to the King County Surface Water Drainage Manual for its CAD drawing files and software program requirements.

Traffic and King County Road Standards

The Federal Highway Administration provides the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices Millennium Edition online.

King County Road Standards

Other standards referenced in the King County Road Standards that designers may need are published by and available at the Washington State Department of Transportation.

Professional Engineers

The Surface Water Design Manual and King County Road Standards, as adopted by Public Rule, require all engineering drawings to be prepared under the supervision of an engineer who is licensed in Washington state.  For information about licensed professional engineers see the Washington State, Department of Labor and Industries, Engineers, land surveyors and on-site designers and inspectors.

Survey and recording documents

CAD recording drawings available for download
Description File Name
Title Page: Final Plat Title_Page_Final-Plat_dwg  or  Title_Page_Final-Plat_pdf
Final plat sheets Final_Plat_Sheets_dwg  or  Final_Plat_Sheets_pdf
Title Page: Final Short Plat Title_Page_Final_Short_Plat_dwg or Title_Page_Final_Short_Plat_pdf
Title Page: Short Plat Alteration Title_Page_Short_Plat_Alteration_dwg or Title_Page_Short_Plat_Alteration_pdf
Title Page: Boundary line Adjustment Boundary_Line_Adjustment_Template-dwg or Boundary_Line_Adjustment_Template-pdf

Formatting and lettering sizes for the above drawing files conform to the requirements of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC 332-130-050, Survey Map Requirements) and King County's Records and Elections requirements as revised per Ordinance 13694. Please use these templates for preparing final documents to record land surveys in King County.

Other Available Documents: Engineers and surveyors can download the Procedure for Checking of Final Plats for help in preparing and submitting documents and plat mylars required for recording.

Construction requirements

Sign Requirements: Subdivisions breaking ground after July 27, 1998, are required to place a Construction Notice Board at the site - see Notice of Construction Activity Sign Requirements.

Certificate of Insurance Requirements: If you are working under a clearing or grading permit, OR are required to construct a drainage facility as a condition of your permit approval, King County Code 16.82.090 and 09.04.100(D) requires the applicant to obtain a Certificate of Insurance that names King County as an additional insured. This insurance is required to protect King County from property damage and/or liability caused by any accident, negligence, failure of a drainage facility, or any other liability relating to work on the site and may cover maintenance of required drainage facilities. A contractor may post the insurance on behalf of the applicant, but all contractors, including subs, must also post the insurance.

In order to obtain this insurance, contractors/applicants shall submit to Permitting, an Acord Certificate of Insurance and a copy of the Additional Insured Endorsement. King County prefers CG2010 (Form B) be used. However, if your insurance company does not use the standard Form B, you may submit a substitute and our Risk Manager will review and either approve or deny the substitute form. For more information, see Grading & Reclamation Liability Insurance Requirement or drainage facilities insurance .

Related links