Skip to main content
King County logo

NOTE: Even if you don’t need a permit, your work must meet applicable code requirements.


Permits we offer in unincorporated King County

In general, you need a building permit to change the occupancy of, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or demolish a building or structure.

You don’t need a building permit for…

  • A storage shed with a floor area of 200 square feet or less, that is accessory to a residential house or agricultural use
  • Fences 6 feet high or less
  • Most retaining walls 4 feet high or less
  • Replacement of roofing or siding for detached one- and two-family houses
  • Uncovered decks that are 30 inches or less above the ground
  • Interior finishes (like carpet, hardwood flooring, tile, paint, and wallpaper)
  • Roof-mounted solar photovoltaic panels that weigh less than 4 pounds per square foot on residences

You need a fire system or event permit for…

  • Installing, enlarging, altering, or replacing a fire system such as fire sprinklers, alarms, or fire department connection
  • Placement of temporary tents or canopies that are larger than 400 square feet and certain special events (see Special Event Permit)
  • Firework stands and displays or shows

You may also need an operational permit for business uses such as hazardous storage or assembly.

You need a grading permit for…

  • Grading within a critical area
  • Excavations greater than 5 feet deep or 100 cubic yards
  • Any fill greater than 3 feet deep or 100 cubic yards
  • Creation of more than 2,000 square feet of new impervious surface

You need a mechanical permit to install, enlarge, move, or replace mechanical equipment.


  • Installing a new fireplace or wood-burning stove
  • Installing a new furnace, air conditioner, or heat pump

You need a temporary use permit for uses that are not otherwise permitted in a given zone. This permit allows the use, if compatible, for limited times and/or frequencies, or allows limited expansion of any use that is otherwise allowed in the zone but that is outside the intended scope of the original land use approval.

step 2

Permits we don’t offer, and where to go for them

See our Inspection scheduling handout, which has contact information for other permitting agencies, including…

  • Electrical
  • On-site sewage systems
  • Plumbing
  • Water wells
Inspection scheduling handout
step 3

Still not sure?

Stop by our office in Snoqualmie, call us at 206-296-6600, or email us.

These special conditions may require permits…
  • Critical areas
  • Established clearing limits
  • Flood zones
  • Historically sensitive areas
  • Setback areas
  • Shorelines
  • Steep slopes
  • Total impervious lot coverage
  • Wetlands
  • Our office in Snoqualmie:
    King County Local Services
    Permitting Division
    35030 SE Douglas Street
    Suite 210
    Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266
  • 206-296-6600
  • Office hours:
    Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri:
    7:30-11:30 a.m. & 1-3 p.m.
    Wed: Closed