Skip to main content
Many King County facilities are closed to the public, and many services are being offered remotely. Learn more about changes and cancellations.  
King County logo

King County Permitting is temporarily suspending lobby services in our Snoqualmie and Vashon Island offices effective Monday, March 16, 2020. For up-to-date information, please read our customer service bulletin.

Update, March 26, 2020

Due to the Governor’s order to suspend construction activities, most construction inspections have been suspended. It is the responsibility of the homeowner, contractor or agent to determine if an inspection is exempt under the Governor’s order.

To schedule an exempt inspection, complete the Exempt Inspection Request form and email it to

King County does not issue outdoor burn permits. Direct your inquiry to your local fire district.

For the status of air quality burn bans, check the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, Air Quality Burn Ban Status.

No burn ban in effect

Recreational fire rules

  • Must be built in a metal or concrete fire pit
  • Not grow larger than 3-feet in diameter
  • Be set in a clear spot free from vegetation for at least 10-feet in width
  • Be at least 25-feet from any structure
  • Allow 20-foot high clearance from overhanging branches
  • Be watched at all times by an alert person with equipment capable of putting the fire out

Burning yard waste

King County does not issue burn permits. Contact your local fire district. Restrictions such as burn bans may prevent a fire district from issuing a burn permit. Burn permits cannot be issued in areas designated as urban zones.

King County's Solid Waste Division provides alternatives to burning wood and yard waste. Contact them at 206‑477‑4466.

Department of Local Services, Permitting Division


35030 SE Douglas Street, Suite 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266

Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri:     7:30-11:30 am & 1:00-3:00 pm
Wednesday:     Closed

NOTE Permitting services at the Vashon Island office are suspended.