Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
What is the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)?
PREA was established in 2003 to address the problem of sexual abuse and sexual harassment of persons in the custody of U.S. correctional agencies. Major provisions of PREA include the development of standards for detection, prevention, reduction and punishment of prison rape. The Act applies to all public and private institutions that house adult or juvenile offenders and is also relevant to community-based agencies. DAJD has adopted a zero tolerance on issues pertaining to sexual abuse and sexual harassment involving inmates and is working continuously to implement new policies, training requirements for staff and inmates, and developing standards for detection, prevention, reduction and punishment of prison rape.
How do I report a PREA incident?
- Notify any jail staff member
- Fill out kite to classification
- Report incident directly to police or attorney
- Notify Jail Health
- Call King County Ombudsman at 206-477-1051
- For services you may contact King County Sexual Assault Resource Center’s 24 hour resource line at 888.99.VOICE (86423) or www.kcsarc.org
6.04.001 Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
A required PREA Document is attached. Due to the nature of the information, please read the message below:
WARNING - NOTICE OF EXPLICIT CONTENT
The enclosed information provides an explanation of the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) and may contain explicit language and content. The Department of Adult & Juvenile Detention is committed to supporting the elimination, reduction and prevention of sexual abuse and sexual harassment within its facilities. This PREA orientation is provided to all volunteers, vendors, contractors and visitors entering the facilities, with the intent to clearly outline prohibited acts that violate PREA. This information is not only important for your knowledge, awareness and safety, but also to protect our detained population.
- KCCF PREA Audit Final Report 2018
- MRJC PREA Audit Final Report 2018
- DAJD PREA Annual Report 2017
- DAJD PREA Annual Report 2016
- DAJD PREA Annual Report 2015
- DAJD PREA Annual Report 2014
- KCCF PREA Audit Final Report 2014
- MRJC PREA Audit Final Report 2014
- Juvenile PREA Final Report 2015
- Work Education Release (WER) Audit Final Report 2016