LOK-IT-UP: Promoting the safe storage of firearms
King County firearm storage device retailers partner with Public Health
Welcome to LOK-IT-UP!
Our mission is to promote the safety of our communities through increasing safe storage of firearms. King County staffs the LOK-IT-UP initiative as part of our Gun Violence Prevention Initiative.
Here you will find information on:
- the importance of safe storage of firearms
- safe storage device options
- how to practice safe storage in the home
- how to encourage the practice of safe storage in others
Did you know...
- In the United States, 33,636 people died in 2013 as a result of guns.
- In Washington state, 158 children (age 17 or younger) were hospitalized and 108 children died as a result of guns from 2010 to 2014. During this period, 42 children were hospitalized and 23 children died in King County.
- In 2013, an estimated 64,000 adults in King County with a loaded gun in or around their homes reported storing their gun(s) loaded and unlocked.
- The majority of gun deaths in the US were suicides and homicides. Of the 33,636 deaths nationally attributed to firearms in 2013, 63% were suicides and 35% were homicides.
CDC WISQARS (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System), Accessed Oct. 2015
King County law enforcement partners
Auburn, Bellevue, Black Diamond, Bothell, Burien, Covington, Des Moines, Duvall-Carnation, Federal Way, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kent, King County Sheriff's Office, Lake Forest Park, Maple Valley, Mercer Island, Newcastle, North Bend, Pacific, Redmond, Renton, Sammamish, SeaTac, Seattle, Shoreline, Snoqualmie-Fall City, Tukwila, Woodinville, and Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center.
Spread the message.
Display Lok-It-Up posters and brochures.
- Firearm Locking Devices brochure
- Safe Storage Saves Lives: Don't let your gun become a crime gun
- 82% of youth who died by firearm suicide used a gun owned by a family member
- Healthy Kids Are: Cute, Capable, Curious, version 1
- Healthy Kids Are: Cute, Capable, Curious, version 2
- Safe Storage Saves Lives Bookmarks