Free online tobacco cessation training course available now
Attention: King County healthcare and social service providers
We would like to invite you to check out our brand new, online course on Tobacco Cessation and spread the word about this resource. This module will teach you how you can improve the health of your community by giving you tools and information to address tobacco use. You will learn how to use brief intervention and Motivational Interviewing techniques to encourage, empower, and assist people as they move toward a successful quit attempt.
To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you are accepted to the course, you will receive a confirmation letter and login information.
Please feel free to share with your networks. Note: only 25 people can enroll per month. First come, first served. Please contact Norilyn de la Peña if you have any questions.
Tobacco Cessation Objectives
In this course, you will learn how you can improve the health of your community by helping your clients quit using tobacco. You will learn how to use brief intervention and Motivational Interviewing techniques to encourage, empower, and assist your clients as they move toward a successful attempt to quit.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the dangers of tobacco use, including secondhand smoke, with clients.
- Identify disparities and equity issues relevant in communities.
- Discuss short and long-term benefits of quitting tobacco.
- Implement the 5A's and 5R's as tools to assist clients with tobacco cessation.
- Identify common medications used to aid in tobacco cessation and discuss possible side effects.
- Assist clients to prevent relapse.
Time required: 90 minutes, completed on your schedule
Learning format: Self-guided online course
Equipment: Computer with high-speed Internet connection, ability to hear audio (headphones, speakers)