Resources for King County health care providers
Clinical resources and information
- Resources for technical assistance: training or help for developing health-related policies for your agency.
- "Stop Germs!" - Video series on introduction to strategies for reducing communicable diseases for providers serving homeless populations.
Health Care for the Homeless Clinician's Network
Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network is a national professional association that unites clinicians from many disciplines who are committed to improving the health and quality of life for people who are homeless.
The Clinician's Network provides clinical information, peer support, and innovative ideas through publications, regular communications, and a continually updated Web site. The Healing Hands newsletter addresses clinical issues specific to homeless health care practice. The Clinician's Network collaborates with nationally renowned researchers, focusing on improving outcomes with homeless patients. The Network makes recommendations about clinical practice, adapting established guidelines to fit your practice setting and develops training curricula, workshop sessions, video and audiotapes, and other educational materials.
Membership is open to front-line providers or anyone giving hands-on care to homeless people: Nurses, social workers, substance abuse counselors, mental health therapists, dentists, outreach workers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, case managers, pharmacists, psychologists, and physicians as well as students in these professions.
See also: Clinical Practice Resources, National Health Care for the Homeless Council Clinician's Network.
- Sanitation & Hygiene Guide for homeless services providers
This guide is for staff, volunteers, clients, and residents who are involved in the day-to-day operations of shelters, tiny home villages, day centers, and other communities that serve people experiencing homelessness. It will also be useful for management staff and contract monitors who are involved in setting up, equipping, and supporting these facilities.
- Sanitation & Hygiene Assessment Tool for Homeless Shelters, Day Centers, Villages, and Encampments
This document helps to ensure the health and safety of clients, staff, and volunteers, and to determine if additional support is needed to meet minimum sanitation and hygiene standards.
- Working Respectfully with LGBTQ Youth & Adults
Becky Reitzes, MA presentation at 2/16/17 HCHN Provider training
- A Place of Respect – A Guide for Group Care Facilities Serving Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth
Jody Marksamer, National Center for Lesbian Rights
- Integrating Health and Housing Solutions for Older Homeless and Formerly Homeless King County Residents: A Proposed Roadmap for Averting an Approaching Crisis, April 29, 2016
- Creating a Health Conscious Culture at Your Homeless Program Site
How to make your shelter environment healthier and safer.
- Brochure and poster series
Basic information about health topics such as heat emergencies, flu shots, MRSA and more written for people who are homeless.
- An Influenza Pandemic Planning Guide for Homeless and Housing Service Providers
Everything you might want to know about preparing for a pandemic influenza outbreak.