"First Steps" program
- If you need insurance that pays for prenatal care, you can apply for "Washington Apple Health Pregnancy Medical” - a Health Care Authority insurance program. Eligibility for this program is based on your family size, income and your intent to reside in Washington State.
- If you're under 18, pregnant, and live on your own or with your parents, eligibility is based on your income - not your parents'.
- If you are receiving services at a public health clinic, you can apply for "Washington Apple Health Pregnancy Medical” at the clinic. If not, you can apply online at www.wahealthplanfinder.org or call 1-800-756-5437.
Once approved for Washington Apple Health Pregnancy medical you’re eligible for services through the First Steps program. First Step helps pregnant women get the health and social services they may need and covers a variety of services for pregnant women and their infants. First Steps is available as soon as a woman knows she is pregnant.
First Steps services include medical, enhanced, drug and alcohol and other services:
- Prenatal care
- Medical, vision, and dental care
- Post-pregnancy follow-up
- One year of family planning services post pregnancy
- One year of full medical for newborns
- Interpreter services