Washington state's Basic Food program
Basic Food is a food and nutrition program for individuals & families who meet the income guideline (listed at right) afford healthier foods by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Basic Food will also qualify you for Free or Reduced School Meals for your child.
Eligibility is based on income, family size, and citizenship status.
Individuals who reside in Washington State must meet the following:
- Income requirements—see guideline tables
- Citizen requirements (include U.S. citizens & lawfully admitted residents who meet the 5-year residency requirement & some non-citizens).
- If clients are non-citizen but they have U.S. Citizen Children, their children may be eligible.
- Agree to participate in Food Assistance work and training program (if applicable).
How to apply:
What to send:
- Complete the application and read the mailing instructions (PDF)
- Proof of income
Where to send your application:
Access & Outreach
Public Health — Seattle & King County
401 5th Ave., Suite 1000
Seattle, WA 98104
Or fax the application to 206-296-0881
NOTE: SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
How to get help:
Income and resources limits
Have income at or under the amount below based on how often you are paid:
Monthly benefits amount for Basic Food
Monthly benefits vary by:
- Number of people in the household
- Living expenses household members pay for such as:
- Rent or mortgage
- Child care
- Child support