Permit applications and jurisdictions
Please note that if you are applying for a Backflow Prevention Assemblies Permit for an installation within the City of Seattle you must also fill out the City of Seattle Backflow Prevention Assemblies Application Information Form and present it with your application submittal. These application forms and instructions are also available in-person at the permit counter in Seattle and Bellevue.
Purchase plumbing permits online
Use the Online Services Portal to purchase plumbing, gas piping permits and backflow assembly permits.
Application downloads in fillable-PDF format
Instructions for use: The applications are formatted for you to tab to each field and type your information directly on the PDF form. Once you are complete, print it out and fill out the rest that require a signature.
- Who can get a permit?
- Application for plumbing permit
- Application for gas piping permit
- Application for Medical Gas Permit
- Application for Backflow Prevention Assemblies Permit
- City of Seattle Backflow Prevention Assemblies Application Information Form
- Plumbing and gas piping service fees
Jurisdictions where permits are issued
Public Health issues plumbing and gas piping permits, and performs inspections, in the following jurisdictions:
- Unincorporated King County
- Beaux Arts
- Clyde Hill
- ATTENTION: Effective January 2, 2018, Public Health – Seattle & King County will no longer issue permits for property within the City of Yarrow Point. We will continue to perform inspections for permits issued prior to that date.
If the property is in another King County city, you will need to get your plumbing and gas piping permits from that city's building department. If you are uncertain about the jurisdiction, please use the King County Parcel Viewer to check. Use care when entering the parcel number and property address for your permit. If our inspectors are sent to the wrong site due to your error, you may be charged a $25 change-of-address fee.
For permits issued online, you will need to wait for an hour before you can call to request an inspection.
Permits for medical gas installations (medical and dental gas) or water reuse systems (such as rainwater harvesting) cannot be purchased online because they require a plan review prior to permit issuance. Plans and applications must be submitted at the Seattle office.
Renewal of an existing permit or the addition of fixtures/outlets to an existing permit cannot be done online but you can do it over the phone. Just call 206-263-9566 and have your SR# and a credit card available.