Online class and test
Obtaining your official Washington state food worker card
To access the online class and test now, go to www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
Checklist before you begin
- Have a working printer connected to your computer or borrow someone else's if you don't have one
Once you pass the test and pay for your card, if you entered an email address during the registration process, you will be emailed a copy of your card in PDF format to print. Save the file to your computer or in your email archives for the full duration of the validity of your card. Make at least 2 printouts: Give a copy to your employer and keep a copy in your wallet. If you lose the one in your wallet, you can print it off again from your saved PDF file. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer in order to open and print off PDF files.
- Have a valid credit card available before starting the class. The cost of the class and test is $10.
We accept Visa, Master Card, and Discover Card. We also accept any debit card that has a MasterCard/Visa logo. You cannot make arrangements to pay later by credit card or by cash.
- Have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed on your computer.
- Turn off your pop-up blocker.
If the pop-up blocker is on, you may not be able to sign on.
Common questions about the online class and test
If you have technical problems associated with the online program or payment issues, please call 253-798-6145 for assistance between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. After 4:30 PM, please leave a message and someone will get back to you on the next workday.
You may also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org -- In any phone or email message, please leave your full name, phone number, email and describe the nature of your concern.
The online training system is owned and maintained by the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Dept. however like most Washington state counties, we are also using it for King County residents but do not have any control over the online training system to troubleshoot any issues with the system itself.
If your current Washington state food worker card has not been expired for more than 30 days, proceed with taking the online class and test. It will print out a card valid for three years.
If your last card has been expired for more than 30 days, the system will print out a card valid for two years.
A 5 year card can be issued to you if you have completed an approved advanced training course such as a ServSafe Food Manager course within the last 2 years and you have a Washington state food worker card that is due to expire within the next 60 days. You need to take the online training, print your 2 year card and then contact us to schedule a time to show us proof of your advanced certification, your old Washington State food worker card and your new online 2 year card. Once we have verified the advanced training, your old card and your new valid 2 year card, we will issue you a 5 year card. Please contact us at 206-263-9566 if you believe you are eligible for a 5 year food worker card to make arrangements.
No, you can restart the course from where you left off. If you do not complete and pay for your online food worker card class and test within 30 days, your session will be removed from the database and you will need to start over.
If you cannot print, please check your printer connections. Ensure the printer is on, has ink and that the printer is connected to your computer. Try using your word processor and see if your printer works or print a test page. If it still doesn't print, you should find a different computer with a working printer to use to take the course. Try taking it at your local public library or at your place of work.
If you don't have a printer, you can log back into your account elsewhere that has a printer setup.
WARNING: You have up to 5 days after paying for your permit to log back into your account to print it off without being charge $10 again. If after 5 days, you will be charged $10 but will not have to retake the class and test for the full duration of your card's validity.
Yes, to print or re-print a copy of your food worker your card after the online session ends, follow these steps:
- Go back to the online food worker card website www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
- Click through the buttons until you see "Returning User" and click on that to proceed.
- Sign in to the online system using you login and password you created when you registered
- Follow the steps to re-print your card
- OR, if you received a PDF of your card, you can forward a copy of the PDF to your employer or print it out and provide a hard copy
If you did not provide an email address when registering for the class and did not receive a PDF version of your card and chose to print it off directly from the online system, you can print off your food worker card as many times as you need for free for 5 days after you pass your test. After 5 days, you will be recharged to print your card. We suggest printing off at least 3 copies of your card every time you get a new one. Keep a copy in your wallet, give a copy to your employer and keep another at home or somewhere safe to use at your backup in case you lose the one in your wallet. Replacement permits are $10 if you lose your only copy. Otherwise, you may simply photocopy your permit and give a copy to your employer.
You may obtain a replacement Washington State food worker permit, if you meet the following conditions:
- Your lost permit hasn't yet expired. It is required to retake the class and test in full every time your permit expires.
- You took your last class and test using our online training method at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
You can log back into your account to print off your card but will be charged $10 again using a credit card. Be sure to have a working printer hooked up to enable you to print the card after payment. You have up to 5 days after payment to log back in and print off as many copies as you need free of charge. After 5 days, you will be charged $10 again.
You will need the following software and equipment to successfully use the online food worker card class:
- Windows XP with SP3, Vista, or Windows 7 must be installed.
- Ensure your screen resolution is set to at least 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Apple computers should work as long as Adobe Flash is installed.
- It is recommended, your computer have at least 1 gigabyte memory, a 1.6 gigahertz single processor or above and speakers for the audio.
- You will need a working printer connected to your computer to print your card.