Skip to main content
King County logo

Attention Meat Cutters: If your job requires the cutting of fresh beef, veal, lamb and/or pork within a meat establishment you will need to pass an exam to obtain a personal occupational "Meat Cutter" license in addition to the food worker card exam. See testing dates and locations.


Downtown Seattle - Chinook Building
401 5th Ave
(corner of 5th and Jefferson)
Room 121
(Ground Floor: Enter through lobby and head to back of building beyond the elevators)
Seattle WA 98104

If you are planning to drive, metered street parking is available in the area as well as several parking lots south of the building along 5th Ave. A parking garage is located across the street (enter by heading halfway up Jefferson then turn south into the alleyway entrance.) Please note that we do not validate for parking.

Class schedule
Held at 9:30 am to 12:00 Noon (doors close by 9:15 am) in Room #121. Reservations are not necessary.

September 13, 2019 May 5, 2020
October 4, 2019 June 2, 2020
November 1, 2019 July 7, 2020
December 6, 2019 August 4, 2020
January 7, 2020 September 1, 2020
February 4, 2020 October 6, 2020
March 3, 2020 November 3, 2020
April 7, 2020 December 1, 2020


Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the class time on the schedule to ensure that you have time to register, pay for the class and get a seat – doors close at 9:15 am. Class starts promptly at the time given in the schedule. Late arriving individuals are not allowed in class once it starts and will have to either take the course online or wait a month for the next scheduled class. Pre-registration is not required prior to arriving.
The class and test together take about 1-1/2 hours to complete (not including arriving 30 minutes in advance of the class start time.)
Bring your driver's license, passport, or school ID, etc.
Bring $10.00 cash (checks and credit/debit cards not accepted) to pay for your Food Worker Card..
If you are renewing for a 3 or 5 year card, bring your old card or a copy of it that expired less than 30 days ago, or will expire within the next 60 days.
For a 5-year card, bring in proof (certificate or card) that you have completed an approved food safety training class within the last 2 years.
There is no minimum age one needs to be to take the class and test however, you must be able to read the book and test, and to write out your registration form. If you need help, it is good to bring a friend or relative that you can trust to help you during the class.

Training materials and tests are available at the food worker card classes in English, Spanish, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Vietnamese. The test is also available in Japanese but sorry no training materials available for this language.

If you need help to understand the class or the test, bring someone you trust, or call us for an interpreter (please allow at least two weeks advance notice) at 206-263-9566.

How to schedule a private class for your group at your location

If you would like a Public Health food worker card instructor to train your group at your location (King County, WA only), please complete the following form to get started and we'll be in touch with you to finalize the details to schedule a training.

Please allow 2 weeks advance notice of when you would like to have the class scheduled so we can organize staff time and other resources as necessary. If you have additional questions about this process, please call the King County Food Protection office at 206-263-9566.

Fees: $10 for each permit issued

Contact information:


Details about your group: