Skip to main content
King County logo

Food Protection Program reviews and approves applications for the construction of new food establishments or the remodeling of existing ones. The process begins by submitting plans to the Food Protection Program. Plans are reviewed to ensure that the establishment will have all the necessary facilities and equipment. When changing ownership of an existing food establishment, the new owner must apply for a permit to operate.

NOTE: If you are renewing an existing food business permit (with no changes to ownership, facility, or menu,) you may do so using our online services portal.

Exempt from the code

  • Tasting rooms that only serve wine or spirits into single-service articles (disposable cups) or provide customers with new, clean glassware to keep or allow customers to bring their own glassware for their own use so long as no glassware is reused anywhere in the establishment do not need to obtain a tasting room permit.

  • Other activities that are exempt from the Food Code include the offering of non-potentially hazardous, ready-to-eat foods produced in a licensed food establishment or food processing plant (such as crackers or pretzels) that are served without direct hand contact, with limited portioning, directly onto or into sanitary single-use or single-service articles from the original package.

  • Commercially pre-packaged, non-potentially hazardous food served directly into single service articles

  • No fee

Permanent food service

  • Menu limitations based on risk category
  • Must have all required fixtures within facility
  • Plan Review Fee of $860 + hourly rate beyond base fee
  • Annual Risk I Permit Fee of $380 to $390
  • Annual Risk II Permit Fee of $576 to $822
  • Annual Risk III Permit Fee of $819 to $1,158

Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)