Skip to main content
King County logo
Update posted September 27, 2016

Toulouse Petit has been inspected and has been given approval to reopen as of 10:30 a.m., Tuesday, September 27, 2016. Public Health authorized Toulouse Petit to reopen after ensuring that food safety practices are being followed and that they had corrected all violations. An additional follow-up inspection will be conducted in two weeks.

The investigation into the illnesses associated with Toulouse is ongoing. While lab results are pending, the ill persons are known to have consumed foods that carry a higher risk for causing foodborne illness, including raw beef and raw eggs. Invoices have been collected from the restaurant so that regulatory authorities may trace the implicated food items back to their point of origin and ensure that best practices are in place to minimize the risk of contamination with illness-causing pathogens. No additional illness have been reported.

Posted September 22, 2016

Public Health is currently investigating illnesses associated with Toulouse Petit Kitchen & Lounge located at 601 Queen Anne Ave N in Seattle. Six out of seven people from the same party ate at the restaurant on September 10th and subsequently became ill with gastrointestinal symptoms (cramping, vomiting and diarrhea,) fever, and headache between September 12th and September 16th. The symptoms and timing of illness onset are consistent with a bacterial infection, such as Salmonellosis or Shiga Toxin-producing E. coli. The food source that led to these illnesses is still under investigation, but the party had consumed food items that may increase the risk of foodborne illness, including raw beef and raw egg. Testing of ill persons and environmental samples from the restaurant to confirm which pathogen caused the illness are in progress. None of the ill persons have required hospitalization.

Public Health learned of the outbreak on September 20th. An investigation of the restaurant performed on September 22nd found several problems including room temperature storage, inadequate refrigeration and improper cooling of potentially hazardous foods and cross contamination, which resulted in temporary suspension of the restaurant's permit. The restaurant will be allowed to reopen after making corrections and Public Health is confident that the outbreak has ended.