Patty Hayes, RN, MN
Director, Public Health — Seattle & King County
Patty Hayes is the appointed Director of Public Health — Seattle & King County, a metropolitan health department of 1,500 employees. Public Health serves the two million residents of King County, Washington. It is the 9th largest local health department by population in the country. It provides a full complement of public health services including epidemiology, communicable disease control, environmental health services, jail health services, emergency medical services coordination and delivery, medical examiner services and a county-wide community health center system.
Prior to her role as Director, Patty led the department's largest division, Community Health Services, which delivers personal health services at locations across the county.
Patty has over 30 years of experience in public health, policy development and advocacy. Patty previously served as the Executive Director of WithinReach, a statewide non-profit that connects families to food and health resources. She also worked for the Washington State Department of Health in various positions including Assistant Secretary of Health for Community & Family Health as well as the Director of Legislative, Policy and Constituent Relations.
- In 2020, Patty received the prestigious University of Washington Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus Award, the highest honor the University bestows on a UW graduate.
- Patty has nursing and master degrees from the University of Washington School of Nursing and was inducted into the Washington Nursing Hall of Fame in 2002.
- In 2014, Patty received the Heroine of Health Care Award from the Center of Women and Democracy.
- In 2015, Patty received the Cynthia F. Shurtleff Award, a statewide honor that recognizes extraordinary leadership and dedication to the health and well-being of women, children and families in Washington.
- In November 2017 Patty was named one of the Most Influential People of the Year by Seattle Magazine.
- In December 2017, Patty was appointed as honorary Assistant Dean to the University of Washington School of Nursing.