Payment plan for the first-half 2020 property taxes due
Are your 2020 property taxes unpaid?
First-half 2020 property taxes were due June 1, 2020. If your property taxes are past due, payment plans are available to property owners impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and who have not paid their 2020 1st half taxes by the due date.
Note: If you are inquiring about a commercial business or have a mobile home please call 206-263-2844 to inquire about payment plan options.
How does a payment plan work?
Spreading out your tax obligation into monthly payments can be easier to manage for some taxpayers who are behind in paying 2020 first half property taxes. However, there are important factors to consider if a taxpayer wants to participate in a payment plan:
- Payment plans do not reduce or eliminate your obligation to pay applicable interest and penalties as specified in RCW 84.56.020.
- A payment plan for the 1st half 2020 taxes can be established over the next few months (July, August, September, & October) to pay off the first-half 2020 unpaid taxes.
- To participate in a payment plan a taxpayer must first sign agreements with King County Treasury and then with Evergreen Notes Servicing (ENS). ENS is the company that will receive and process your monthly payments. Taxpayers must pay a $15 monthly processing fee charged by ENS. King County will absorb the $75 setup fee for taxpayers impacted by COVID-19 and who wish to participate in a 2020 payment plan.
- Monthly payments must be sent directly to ENS. Monthly payments will not be accepted if sent to King County Treasury.
What is an example of a typical payment plan?
The below example will help to understand how a monthly payment plan is structured:
- A homeowner missed the June 1 extended due date to pay the first half taxes.
- Unpaid first half tax on the property is $2,000.
- The homeowner wants to spread out monthly payments over 4 months (July, August, September, October) to pay off the first half property taxes.
- The one percent monthly interest charge and the monthly $15 processing charge must also be factored into the monthly payment plan.
- A four-month payment plan would look something like this:
|$2,000||1st half principal amount|
Interest charged over 4 months
|$60||Processing fee ($15/month x 4)|
|= $2,220||$2,220 Total payment after 4 months|
|= $555||Monthly payment (Jul-Oct)|
What are the next steps if I want to participate in a payment plan?
After determining that a payment plan could possibly work for you, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 206-263-2890.
Note: If you are inquiring about a commercial business or have a mobile home please call 206-263-2844 and inquire about payment plan options.
- Provide your tax account number and contact information, and the number of months you wish to participate in a payment plan via email to email@example.com.
- You will be given a “First-Half 2020 Payment Plan Agreement” based on the amount due against your property tax account. Initial and sign the document and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow the instructions as indicated at the bottom of the agreement.
- Contact Evergreen Notes Servicing (ENS) and finalize payment details with them. All payments must be sent to ENS. Monthly payments sent to King County Treasury will not be accepted and will be returned to you. Payments must be sent to ENS.
- Upon completion of the payment agreement, ENS will send the payment for your first-half taxes to Treasury for processing.
- The accounts will appear unpaid until all payments are received by ENS and forward to Treasury.
- If you have a mortgage on the property, be certain to contact them and tell them of the payment plan agreement established with the county.
** Your payment plan must be completed by October 31, 2020. Remember, your second-half taxes must also be paid in full by October 31 in order to avoid more late charges.
King County Treasury Operations, 500 Fourth Ave., Suite 600 Seattle, WA 98104
Property Tax Information and Customer Service-------------------- 206-263-2890 ---- PropertyTax.CustomerService@kingcounty.gov
Mobile Homes/Commercial Personal Property---------------------- 206-263-2844 ---- Treasury.PersonalProperty@kingcounty.gov
Tax Foreclosures --------------------------------------------------------------- 206-263-2649 ---- TaxForeclosures@kingcounty.gov
Maintenance Assessment Mgmt Systems/Local Improvement Districts 206-263-1893 email@example.com