Running for office
To become a candidate, you must complete and file a Declaration of Candidacy, meet the qualifications for the office at the time of filing, and be registered to vote in the district. Read the Candidate Manual for more information.
Personnel Board candidate filing period June 3 - 5
We will be holding a candidate filing period for the elected member position on the King County Personnel Board.
All candidates will appear on the June 25 General Election ballot. The candidate filing period will begin on Monday, June 3, at 8:30 a.m. and will end at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 5, 2019. There is a $5 non-refundable filing fee. Candidates who wish to file must complete a Personnel Board Declaration of Candidacy .
The county charter requires the elected member of the Personnel Board to be a resident of the state of Washington and not currently employed by King County. The Personnel Board consists of five members, four of whom are appointed, and one member elected by county career service employees. The elected term is for a 3-year unexpired term.The Personnel Board conducts hearings on appeals of certain county personnel actions as provided for in Section 540 of the King County Charter. For more information on the position, contact the Personnel Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special candidate filing period August 7 - 9
We will be holding a special candidate filing period for the following offices:
- Town of Beaux Arts Village, Council Position No. 2
- Town of Hunts Point, Council Position No. 2
- Skykomish School District No. 404, Director Position No. 5
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 1
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 3
- King County Fire Protection District No. 31, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Fire Protection District No. 47, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Water District No. 123, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Airport District, Commissioner Position No. 2
- Fall City Metropolitan Park District, Commissioner Position No. 1
All candidates will appear on the November 5 General Election ballot. The special filing period will begin on Wednesday, August 7, at 8:30 a.m. and will end at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 9, 2019. There are no filing fees for these positions.
Candidates who wish to file during the special, three-day filing period must complete a Declaration of Candidacy .
- Candidate Manual
- PCO Manual
- Offices Subject to Election
The list of offices subject to election will be available March 15. Jurisdictions have until March 1 to provide incumbent and salary information; this information is needed in order to create the list of offices open with filing fee amounts.
- Campaign contribution limits for King County offices
- Local voters' pamphlet paper submission form
- Political sign regulations (King County)
- Political sign regulations (WSDOT)
- Public Disclosure Commission requirements
- Seattle candidate information:
- Online candidate filing
- Online PCO filing
- Online voters’ pamphlet filing
- Campaign contact information update form
- Declaration of Candidacy
- Declaration of Write-In Candidacy
- PCO Declaration of Candidacy
- Filing fee petition
- Withdrawal of Candidacy
Subscribe to candidate notifications
Subscribe to alerts for candidates, campaign managers, and others interested in running for office. Includes notices about campaign filing, deadlines, etc.
These videos will review how to file for office, how to submit your voters' pamphlet information, and more!