Online candidate filing
Online candidate filing is closed. Please contact Election Services if you have any questions at 206-296-1565.
Frequently asked questions
Online candidate filing is available 24 hours a day starting May 14, 2018, at 9 a.m. and ending on May 18, 2018, at 4 p.m.
Before you file for office you will need to:
The following districts must file with the Secretary of State's Office :
- US Senator
- US Representative
- State Supreme Court
- State Senator and Representative for Legislative Districts 1, 30, 31, 32, and 39
When you are ready to file for office, you will need:
- First and last name as you are registered to vote
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Campaign contact information (if any)
- Email address
- Phone number
- Valid credit card or checking account number (if there is a filing fee)
- If you are submitting a filing fee petition, you must file in person at the Elections office in Renton
There is no time limit, but the system will timeout after 30 minutes of no activity.
No, all filing fees are non-refundable (RCW 29A.24.131).
We do not receive any part of the convenience fee. State law requires that the person paying the fee, not the county, bear the cost (RCW 30.29.190).
No, you must meet all of the qualifications for the office at the time of filing. Knowingly providing false information on the declaration of candidacy is a class C felony (RCW 29A.04.311).
Online registrations and changes are not processed immediately. If you have any questions about your voter registration or address changes, call us at 206-296-1565.