Project and Programs
Science and Technical Support Section
- Lake Stewardship Program- a volunteer program for monitoring lake water quality
- Salmon Watcher Program - a volunteer salmon-monitoring program
- Bear Creek Watershed-Scale Stormwater Plan
- Stormwater Retrofit Monitoring in the Echo Lake Drainage Basin (Shoreline Area)
- The WRIA 9 Marine Shoreline Monitoring and Compliance Pilot Project
- WRIA 8 Wadeable Streams Monitoring Project (2014) King County conducted physical and biological monitoring between 2010 and 2013 in the Lake Washington/ Cedar/ Sammamish (WRIA 8) watershed.
- Modeling PCB/PBDE Loadings Reduction Scenarios for the Lake Washington Watershed (2014) An EPA grant project to provide PCB/PBDE loading estimates and assess PCB load reductions necessary to reduce fish tissue concentrations to safe levels for human consumption.
- Green River Stormwater Retrofit Planning Project (2014) This project estimated the amount and cost of stormwater infrastructure that would be needed in the Duwamish River Watershed, or Water Resource Inventory Area (WRIA) 9, to improve stream flow and water quality to levels comparable to those found under fully forested conditions.
- Quartermaster Harbor Nitrogen Management Study (2013) An EPA grant funded project that summarized freshwater (groundwater and surface water) inputs to Quartermaster Harbor, marine water quality and sources of nitrogen.
- Critical Areas Ordinances (CAO) monitoring (2012) This project evaluated the effectiveness of regulations passed by King County Council in 2004 and implemented on January 1, 2005.
- Urban Planned Development (UPD) Monitoring. (2011) Products include the 2008-2010 Final Monitoring Report, the 2007 Annual Monitoring Report and the 2006 Midpoint Review.
- Vashon-Maury Island Water Resource Evaluation (2011) This project collected a variety of data (groundwater, surface water and precipatation) to help assess the water resources on Vashon-Maury Island.
- King County biodiversity report (2008) This report summarizes the rich landscape of King County and describes the state of biodiversity in King County.
- Mussel studies (2008) Several reports on various freshwater mussels studies
- Green River Restoration Effectiveness (2008) This study characterized baseline conditions at restoration sites on the Green River to support future evaluations of the physical effectiveness of levee setback and removal.
- Newaukum Creek basin characterization (2007) This technical report characterizes historic and present conditions, identifies ecological alterations and knowledge gaps, and anticipates future changes in the Newaukum Creek basin.
- Green/ Duwamish River Water Quality Assessment (2005) A program that collected and analyzed water quality data within the Green-Duwamish watershed and used these data to support a variety of King County water quality planning efforts.
- Normative flow studies (2005) This project enhanced our understanding of the relationship between river and stream flow patterns with ecological parameters.
- King County Ecological Lands Handbook (2003) This handbook served as a collection of materials to guide management of King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks Ecological Lands.