Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Martin Luther King Day.  
King County logo

Do I qualify for King County Mental Health Services? (Also see “Insurance Coverage ”)

You qualify for King County Mental Health Services if you meet both financial and medical necessity criteria. More details about this topic in who we serve.

What if I don’t qualify?

See other low cost providers. Many of our agencies offer “sliding scale” or reduced fees for privately paid mental health services. Not all agencies offer privately paid services and availability is based on whether the agency has the capacity to offer privately paid services at the time of the call.

How do I enroll in services?

You can contact anyone on our list of mental health providers and ask for a first time or intake appointment. You may also call Client Services at 1-800-790-8049 or the Ombuds service, or TTY at 206-205-0569 during business hours if you need help finding a mental health center near you.

I’m moving to King County and I will need mental health services. Who should I contact?

If you are covered by Medicaid, please contact your Community Service Office through DSHS to have your coupon switched to King County with your new King County address. Once you have switched to a King County medical coupon, you can call one of our King County mental health service providers.

I don’t live in Seattle but I do live in King County. Can I still get help?

Mental health services are available throughout all regions of King County. For help finding a community mental health center near you, call Client Services at 1-800-790-8049.

What if I move out of King County? Can I still get services through King County?

Sorry, but only people who have King County medical coupons can receive our services. If you move but remain in King County, you can simply choose another mental health provider that is closer to your new location. Anyone living outside King County will need to get mental health services in the county in which they live.

The agency I called won’t take my coupon. What should I do?

You may want to check with your DSHS worker or call your local Community Service Office to verify what type of coverage you have. If you do have a King County medical coupon, call the King County Mental Health Ombuds Service or the Client Services office 1-800-790-8049 to assist you with enrolling in services.

I am an undocumented person. How can I get mental health services?

The community mental health centers usually work with people who have Medicaid or other coverage, but you may wish to contact the Crisis Clinic for places that may offer services to undocumented individuals.

I only want medication. What can I do?

Although any doctor can prescribe medicine, having a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner prescribe medications is often most helpful. You may decide to ask your doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist. King County mental health providers have psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners that are able to offer a “meds only” treatment approach if it is agreed upon between you and your psychiatric provider.

I am out of my medications. What can I do?

If you are enrolled in a mental health agency, contact your agency and ask to see someone “ASAP”. If you have trouble getting an appointment, call Client Services to assist you. If you are not enrolled, call the Crisis Clinic Community Information Line or visit your local hospital emergency department.

Who will provide most of my mental health services?

If you have received a psychiatric evaluation and need medications, at minimum, you will see either an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) or a psychiatrist on a quarterly basis. Talk to your mental health case manager or clinician if you have concerns about medications or would like to discuss side effects or a change in your medication. They will listen to your concerns and likely arrange for you to see your ARNP or psychiatrist to address your concerns. Most other services will be provided by a mental health case manager or clinician.

Contact Us

Phone 206-263-9000

TTY Relay: 711

Fax: 206-296-0583