Skip to main content
King County logo

What is a "Wellness Recovery Action Plan"? What is a "Mental Health Advance Directive"?

See Wellness Recovery Action Plan and Advance Directives within the Recovery section.

What is Western State Hospital (WSH)?

Western State Hospital is one of two state-owned psychiatric hospitals for adults. The hospital provides evaluation and inpatient treatment for individuals with serious or long-term mental illness that are referred through the Behavioral Health Organization (BHO) system. Western State Hospital is the regional state psychiatric hospital for 19 western Washington counties for voluntary admissions and involuntary commitments. Western State Hospital serves the needs of western Washington for all individuals who have been committed due to a criminal proceeding.

What is a Less Restrictive Order (LRO) or a Less Restrictive Alternative (LRA)?

An LRO/LRA is a court order that gives conditions that must be met for an individual to leave the hospital. Individuals with LROs/LRAs must follow the condition of the court order or they may be detained and returned to a hospital setting.

What is the difference between a psychiatrist, psychologist, and an MSW?

Psychiatrist: A person having a license to practice as a physician and surgeon in this state and in addition has completed three years of graduate training in
psychiatry in a program approved by the American Medical Association or the American Osteopathic Association and is certified or eligible to be certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. RCW 71.34.020

Psychologist: A person licensed by a state examining board. This person must pass an oral or written exam or both as prescribed by the examining board. In addition, this person must have a doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution obtained from an integrated program of graduate study in psychology. This person must also have had at least two years of supervised experience of which at least was one must have been after the doctoral degree was granted. RCW 18.83.070

MSW: A person with a masters or further advanced degree from a school of social work or a degree deemed equivalent under rules adopted by the Secretary of DSHS. RCW 71.34.020

For a complete list of mental health defintions see this document (PDF).

Contact Us

Phone 206-263-9000

TTY Relay: 711

Fax: 206-296-0583