King County Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Administrative Board 1973-2016
King County Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Administrative Board recommends policies and programs to King County that will ensure the availability and accessibility of alcohol and substance abuse services, including prevention, intervention, treatment, and rehabilitation. It is recognized by RCW 70.96A.320 (2) and King County Code 2.32.11. Board responsibilities include the following roles:
- Developing the annual Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Plan for King County, as required by State law including:
- Providing goals and objectives in the initial phase of the planning process.
- Reviewing all requests for funds for alcoholism and substance abuse programs.
- Recommending the final plan, including funding allocations, to the King County Executive and County Council. All proposals of the King County Mental Health, Chemical Abuse and Dependency Services Division (MHCADSD) that require action by the King County Council are submitted for board review, comment and recommendation prior to release to the Executive by MHCADSD. The board may testify before the County Council regarding any issues or areas of disagreement on the final proposal as part of the normal legislative process.
- Monitoring and insuring implementation of the plan and compliance with goals and objectives.
- Reviewing and approving agency programs for receipt of 2% liquor profit and tax funds governed by RCW 70.96A.087.
- Participating in development of the yearly grant application, and assuring that the grant is consistent with and integrated within the annual plan, monitor agency compliance with the grant.
Also see: Board By-Laws
The 15-member board has diverse membership, including people in recovery. It must be composed of four recovered alcoholics, four persons with documented interest in and knowledge about problems of substance abuse other than alcoholism, and consumer and minority group representatives. No more than four elected or appointed officials may serve. See: Board Members
King County Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Administrative Board meets the first Thursday of each month at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Meetings are held at the King County Chinook Building located at 401 Fifth Avenue, Seattle WA, 98104, in a first floor conference room.
King County Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Administrative Board subcommittees are currently being restructured.
On March 31, 2016, the Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Administrative Board (ASAAB) ceased to exist.
For questions about the new Behavioral Health Advisory Board, contact::
Jada Glaspie, Board Liaison
401 5th Avenue, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104