Families as Partners
Because families are the constant in a child’s life, Birth-to-Three services are family-centered. Family-Centered Services means families and Birth-to-Three practitioners are working together as partners, with the opinions of each considered to equal.
- Parents are equal and valuable members of the team.
- Parental participation is vital to the team.
- Parents provide valuable information about their child’s development, likes and dislikes that no one else knows.
Family-Centered Services and Supports:
- Designed to share information that parents need in their role as the child’s primary caregiver and decision maker.
- Designed with the recognition that the family is the primary influence on the child and has the greatest impact on his/her learning and development.
- Designed to support each family’s confidence in enhancing the child’s learning and development.
- Delivered in a manner that matches the family’s life-style, priorities and concerns.
- Developed in a collaborative manner that involves family members, Birth-to-Three staff and other agencies or people important in a child’s life.
- Provided in a manner that promotes effective communication and problem solving as a team.
Adapted from: Division of Early Childhood (DEC): Recommended Practices in Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education.
All of us are better than one of us…
- When working with infants, toddlers and their families, no single individual, professional or agency can meet the needs of each child.
- As a team that includes you, your family, your Birth-to-Three provider, Family Resource Coordinator and other community agencies, we can work together to meet your child’s needs and support your child’s development.