Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Veterans Day.  
King County logo


If you qualify, you can defer payment of property taxes up to 80% of the equity in your home. You must file your application with the assessor no later than 30 days before the tax is due.

Common Questions


2020 Income Limit Change (based on 2019 earnings)

The Legislature has made major changes in the senior citizens, disabled persons, and veterans exemption and deferral programs. These changes will take effect for taxes collected next year, 2020.

The income limits will now be indexed to the median household income in King County, rather than be set at a fixed amount. We anticipate that this will allow more people to be eligible for these programs.

This new law has not taken effect yet, and the specific income limits for 2020 have not yet been set. We will distribute more information as we have it, but taxpayers should remember that King County will not process applications that are not complete and without supporting documents. For property in King County, you can apply for taxes payable in 2020 as early as January, 2020. Please note, you will need your completed (2019) tax return prior to applying.

To qualify in for taxes payable in 2020, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • Born in 1958 or earlier, or
  • Disabled and unable to work in 2019 or earlier
  • Own and occupy the residence as of 12/31/2019
Income (earned in 2019)
  • Annual household income under the new threshold (to be determined August 2019) including Social Security and other sources (RCW 84.36.383(5))

Continue to check back here for more information as it becomes available. (Updated 5/1/19)

The information below pertains to the current program. Most elements will remain the same, but the qualifying income amounts will change.

Yes. King County offers two types of tax relief for people 60 and older.

If you are a senior citizen or disabled, you may qualify for a property tax reduction/exemption if:

  • you have a total annual income of $40,000 or less (including social security income)
  • you own and occupy a house, mobile home, condo or co-op as principle residence as of December 31 of the year prior to the year of application
  • you are 61 years of age or older
  • you are retired because of physical disability or
  • you are a widow or widower at least 57 years of age, whose spouse had an exemption at the time of death

If you are a senior citizen or disabled you qualify for a deferral if:

  • you have a combined disposable income of $45,000 or less
  • you own and occupy a house, mobile home, condo or co-op as principle residence as of December 31 of the year prior to the year of application
  • you are at least 60 years old when you file or
  • you are retired because of a disability

To apply for a property tax deduction for seniors/disabled, click here (.PDF). To apply for a seniors/disabled tax deferral, click here (.DOC).
If you would prefer to talk with us in person, please call 206-296-3920; We will be happy to help you.

Please visit here for other the tax relief information.