Skip to main content
Many King County facilities are closed to the public. Learn how to access services remotely or while following social distancing guidelines.  
King County logo

The Civil Department handles all "general civil" cases in Superior Court. A general civil case begins when an individual or organization initiates a lawsuit against another individual or organization. Breach of contract, personal injury, and medical malpractice disputes are examples of this type of case.

Superior Court handles other types of civil matters outside the Civil Department. For example, family law cases involving children are handled by the Family Court. Most probate, guardianship, and minor settlement cases are handled by the Ex Parte & Probate Department. Petitions for court-ordered mental health treatment are handled by the ITA Court.

COVID Emergency Information for the Antiharassment, Sexual Assault, Antistalking, and Extreme Risk Protection Order Calendar

Contact Information

  • Contact the Clerk's Office for information regarding individual civil cases. The main information desk can be reached by calling 206-296-9300.
  • The Chief Civil Judge is Judge Regina Cahan.

Helpful Links

Other Resources