Getting a U.S. Passport
What You Need To Bring...
Alert: Effective April 2, 2018 Passport service fee increasing to $35.00
State Department requirements change from time to time. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the Department of State website (external link).
All persons not eligible to apply by mail must appear in person. This includes all minors. For minors under 16, please refer to the state department website for special requirements.
In order to file an application for a passport, you will need to bring the following items with you:
1. A certified copy of your birth certificate or old passport.
- Minor children who are first time applicants ages 17 and under - required a certified copy of the birth certificate.
- Minor children applicants (ages 15 and under) who are in possession of a previous passport - need a photocopy of the birth certificate along the previous passport.
- Minor children applicants (ages 16-17) who are in possession of a previous passport - need only the previous passport.
2. Picture identification (Driver's License, ID card, Student ID card, Temporary ID, etc.) and an easy to read photocopy of the front and back of the identification (on one page) that matches the identification you are submitting to obtain your passport.
3. Two passport identical photographs that match the photo on the identification submitted, sized 2 inches by 2 inches only. Pictures must have been taken within the past 6 months. The background must be white or off-white. No glasses allowed in passport photos as of November 1, 2016. For information regarding digital photographs, please refer to the State Department website.
4. A check or money order made payable to "Department of State" in one of the following amounts for first time applicants:
- Adult Passport Book $110
- Adult Passport Card $30
- Adult Passport Book & Card $140
- Minor Passport Book $80
- Minor Passport Card $15
- Minor Passport Book & Card $95
5. Cash, check, money order or credit card payment in the amount of $35 per application for the service fee made out to King County District Court.
6. For renewals, please refer to the Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html (external link)
After you have applied...
To check the status of your passport application, click here (external link)
Passport Acceptance Service
Passport acceptance hours are 8:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. The Court receives a fee for each application processed. Passport applications are accepted in the following locations: Bellevue, Burien, Issaquah, Redmond, Seattle and Shoreline.