Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the frequently asked questions we have received that are not under the purview of the legislative branch. Please review the list to ensure you submit your request to the correct department or entity for timely processing.
For Court documents or Court related questions – King County Superior Court Clerk’s Office Attn: Correspondence Desk
- I need instructions on how to manage restitution and court costs.What is the next step in this process?
- Do I need to be present for my attorney to file my finalized divorce papers?
- How do I request the name of a probate attorney?
- What forms do I need to fill out and file to petition the court to modify no contact?
- How do I locate a will?
- I received legal financial obligation notice for Joe Citizen.This is not a good address.Please removed this address.
- I need to obtain proof of a name change.
For District Court related records
- I need help finding unpaid tickets.
Contact the King County District Court: https://districtcourt.kingcounty.gov/paymentonline/
- I need help changing a court date.
Contact the King County District Court regarding rescheduling new court dates: https://kingcounty.gov/courts/district-court/court-dates-and-fees/reschedule.aspx
Birth records – Vital Statistics Office, Department of Public Health
- For all Washington state births, from 1907 to present, visit: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/vital-statistics/birth.aspx
- For births outside of King County before 1907, contact the Washington State Center for Health Statistics at 360 236-4300 or toll free at 800 525-0127.
Marriage certificates – Recorder’s Office
- Marriage certificates recorded after 1991 are available online:
Marriage certificates recorded before 1991 available are in the King County Archives:
Records older than 1981 may be obtained at the Washington State Archives Puget Sound branch.Their email is firstname.lastname@example.org and their number is 425 564-3940.
Marriage licenses applications – online
- How do I obtain a marriage license?
You and your fiancée can pick up your license once your application has been processed.The Recorder’s Office is located in the King County Administration Building, Room 430, 500 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104. The phone number is 206 477-6620 and their hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- How do I find information on becoming a wedding officiant?
For property information-hazardous history, environmental complaints
- I am seeking any records (if any) pertaining to hazardous materials, on-site wells, septic systems, underground storage tanks, above ground storage tanks, solid waste, permitting, and environmental enforcement activities.
Contact the Department of Natural Resources and Parks hazards line: 206 296-4692
The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review’s Code Enforcement Complaint Process office can be reached at 206 296-6680 or by email at WebComplaint.CodeEnforcement@kingcounty.gov
For all Executive Branch Requests, please email PRA.email@example.com.
Sample requests received include:
- Video footage from King County Department of Transportation (DOT) camera located at XXXX
- Provide a copy of the XXX park policy for scheduling ball fields.
- I need to obtain a site plan, or a survey plan for a property.
- I’m requesting electronic copies of the current paddle boards for each of the King County Metro Bus/Streetcar/Trolleybus operating bases.
For other requests
- Video footage from interstate traffic cameras.
Contact the Washington State Department of Transportation: http://www.wsdot.com/Traffic/routelist.aspx#I-405
- I’m requesting electronic copies of the current Paddle Boards for each of the King County metro Bus/Streetcar/Trolleybus operating bases.
For Streetcar operating bases, contact the City of Seattle, Department of Transportation: http://www.seattle.gov/public-records/public-records-request-center
- What is the standing of my license?
Contact the Washington State Department of Licensing regarding the status of your driver’s license: https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dsdDriverStatusDisplay/Default.aspx