Skip to main content
King County logo

If your employment with the County ends due to retirement, resignation, dismissal, or any other reason, the following information will help you tie up any loose ends.

Retiring? For additional information specific to retirement, see the Retirement page.

For information, forms, lists of things to do, and resources to help you when you leave County employment, attend Exit Class and review the Exit Guide. (If using Internet Explorer, right-click and "Save target as" to download the guide.) Register for Exit Class, which is held on the last Tuesday of the month (except December, which is held on the third Tuesday) from 1—3 p.m. During Exit Class, you'll learn more about the necessary forms and procedures, COBRA coverage, the Retiree Medical program, costs of insurance, and basic Public Employees Retirement Systems pension information. Exit Class attendance is voluntary.

Some of the things you'll need to do when you leave the County:

  • Notify your supervisor, Human Resources, and Payroll of your plans for separation using the Leaving County Employment form.
  • Prior to departure, review and manage records according to the Records Retention Policy.
  • Turn in your bus pass / ID Card / keycard and other County property.
  • Arrange for delivery of your final paycheck and W-2 form in January.
  • Decide whether to continue your County medical, dental and vision coverage through COBRA or Retiree Medical, and whether to continue your County life insurance.
  • The value of your unused vacation time will be paid to you automatically, unless you contribute the funds to your King County Deferred Compensation Plan using the Leave Cash-Out Authorization Form.
  • Decide how to handle your state retirement plan and  Deferred Compensation Plan.

Continuing Benefits

For a summary of your benefit options when you leave King County, see Continuing Your County Benefits.

COBRA: Continuing medical, dental & vision

When you no longer have active employee coverage, your health and welfare coverage needs do not necessarily end. Through COBRA, you can extend coverage for yourself and your family in certain instances for up to 18 months. If you are retiring, you can use COBRA to help bridge the gap until you reach the qualifying age for Medicare.

Under COBRA, you may continue the medical, dental, and vision coverage you have at the time you left King County employment.

If you have any questions regarding COBRA Continuation Coverage or COBRA Open Enrollment, please contact Benefits, Payroll and Retirement Operations.

To contact Navia Benefits Solutions with COBRA/retiree questions, call 425-452-3490 or 877-920-9675, or email:

Dislocated Worker Program

If you’re laid off, the King County Dislocated Worker Program offers resources and referrals to help you find other employment. Program services include assessment, referral, training, career counseling, and job search assistance. Services are available at WorkSource locations in Auburn, Bellevue and Renton and at three locations in Seattle.

Contact the Dislocated Worker Program at 206-477-7000, or visit WorkSource

Unemployment Insurance

If you leave employment with King County for reasons other than retirement, you may qualify for unemployment insurance. To find out, contact Washington State Employment Security at 1-855-829-9243. For more information, go to Employment Security Department.

Benefits and retirement

Phone 206-684-1556
Fax: 206-296-7700

Phone hours:
9 a.m. – 4 p.m. weekdays

Fax: 206-296-7678