Benefit enrollment & changes
You can enroll in or make changes to your benefits when you first become eligible, during the annual Open Enrollment, or after a qualifying life event.
New Employee Enrollment
New employees receive enrollment information during orientation have 30 days from their hire date to enroll in benefits. Look for more information in the New Employee page.
Employees have a chance every year to make new choices for most benefits. Open Enrollment takes place Nov. 1–15 and any changes go into effect on the first of the following year and remain in effect for the entire plan year. For details, go to the Open Enrollment page.
You can discontinue health coverage for a covered family member at any time using this form: Discontinue Coverage for Family Members. In the case of divorce or dissolution of a domestic partnership, you must remove coverage for the former spouse or domestic partner within 30 days. Continuation of health benefits lost due to divorce or dissolution of a domestic partnership is only available under COBRA once the divorce/dissolution is final.
Benefit changes due to qualifying life events:
You can make the following changes mid-year if you experience a qualifying life event, such as marriage/divorce, gain/loss of coverage, birth/adoption:
- Change medical plans
- Add a dependent
- Opt back into health coverage
- Enroll in a Flexible Spending account or change your election amount
- Add or increase supplemental life insurance
Use the Qualifying Life Event form to request changes related to the event within 30 days of the qualifying event.
Qualifying life events include:
- Getting married or divorced
- Establishing or ending a domestic partnership
- Becoming a parent (through birth, adoption, or legal custody)
- Losing existing health coverage
- Becoming disabled
- Leaving King County employment
- Death of a spouse/domestic partner or child
- A change in coverage under another employer plan
- Adult Child Enrollment
- Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
- Benefit Access Fee Discontinue
- Deferred Compensation Plan Beneficiary Designation Form
- Dependent Discontinue Coverage
- Dependent Enrollment
- Dependent Enrollment: Required Documentation List
- Dept. of Retirement Systems Beneficiary Designation Form
- Disabled Adult Child Continue Coverage
- Discontinue Coverage for Family Members
- Flexible Spending Account Change
- Flexible Spending Account Enrollment
- Flexible Spending Account Letter of Medical Necessity
- Life and AD&D Beneficiary Designation Form
- Life and AD&D Insurance Change
- Life Insurance Change Beneficiary
- Opt In to Health Coverage
- Personal Information Update