Skip to main content
King County logo

New Employee Enrollment

New employees receive enrollment information during orientation have 30 days from their hire date to enroll in benefits. Look for more information in the New Employee page.

Open Enrollment

Employees have a chance every year to make new choices for most benefits. Open Enrollment takes place Nov. 1–15 and any changes go into effect on the first of the following year and remain in effect for the entire plan year. For details, go to the Open Enrollment page.

Mid-year benefit changes

You can discontinue health coverage for a covered family member at any time using this form: Discontinue Coverage for Family Members. In the case of divorce or dissolution of a domestic partnership, you must remove coverage for the former spouse or domestic partner within 30 days. Continuation of health benefits lost due to divorce or dissolution of a domestic partnership is only available under COBRA once the divorce/dissolution is final.

Benefit changes due to qualifying life events:

You can make the following changes mid-year if you experience a qualifying life event, such as marriage/divorce, gain/loss of coverage, birth/adoption:

  • Change medical plans
  • Add a dependent
  • Opt back into health coverage
  • Enroll in a Flexible Spending account or change your election amount
  • Add or increase supplemental life insurance

Use the Qualifying Life Event form to request changes related to the event within 30 days of the qualifying event.

Qualifying life events include:

  • Getting married or divorced
  • Establishing or ending a domestic partnership
  • Becoming a parent (through birth, adoption, or legal custody)
  • Losing existing health coverage
  • Becoming disabled
  • Retiring
  • Leaving King County employment
  • Death of a spouse/domestic partner or child
  • A change in coverage under another employer plan


Benefits and retirement

Phone 206-684-1556
Fax: 206-296-7700

Phone hours:
9 a.m. – 4 p.m. weekdays

Fax: 206-296-7678