Wellness and lactation rooms
Private areas for employees to rest and for new mothers
King County supports you at work by providing private wellness and lactation rooms in some worksites. The primary purpose of these rooms is to accommodate lactating mothers, according to King County’s Lactation Accommodation Policy. Some rooms may also be used by employees for resting and other wellness purposes.
Lactation rooms are private, secure, accommodating and reasonably close to the employee’s work area. When possible they’re located near a sink with hot water and soap (for hand washing and cleaning of equipment) and a refrigerator for storage of expressed breast milk.
Employees in work locations that do not have a designated lactation room should arrange with their supervisor and Human Resources Manager to identify a location to be used as a lactation room.
- La Leche League Helpline - offers phone support 24 hours a day. Callers have access to the most current breastfeeding information, support from a helpline volunteer who is an accredited La Leche League Leader, and local in person support groups. For more information, call 206-522-1336.
- The National Breastfeeding Hotline - Speak with trained breastfeeding peer counselors who can help answer common breastfeeding questions in English or Spanish. They’re available Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 3 PM PST. For more information, call 1-800-994-9662.
- Nurturing Expressions offers in-home lactation support or private appointments at their office. All appointments include a complete breastfeeding assessment. Insurance billing available. For more information, call 206-763-2733.
- Explore phone apps such as Glow Nurture, which provides daily health tips and postpartum support or Baby Nursing - Breastfeeding Tracker, an easy to use app that helps you track your baby’s nursing progress, growth and more.
- Your healthcare benefits may cover breastfeeding-related resources and services, such as a breast pump.For specific information, contact your health plan or Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Operations at 206-684-1556 or email@example.com
Please share your feedback with the team at Balanced You so we can spread good ideas, share success stories, and bring new tools to help you feel energized and be your best. The more you tell us, the better Balanced You will be!