Mental health and well-being
Tools and resources to support you
Mental health is an important part of overall health and well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.
King County and Balanced You support the mental health of employees in many ways. Whether you’re trying to learn more or are seeking support for yourself or loved ones, there are programs and resources available to you.
Let’s work together to open up the conversation about mental health here in King County.
- Practice mindfulness. Free classes are available to employees and can help reduce stress. When new classes are added to the schedule, we will announce this through employee communications.
- Visit a worksite activity center or wellness room to recharge or pause.
- Start a health and well-being activity such as meditation or massage at your worksite.
- Understand the different types of leave and reasonable accommodations that are available to you. Employees can also reach out to their HR representative to learn more.
There are many resources available to help you find the support you might be looking for.
- If you or someone you know is in crisis, get help immediately by calling the 24-hour Crisis Connections Line at 866-427-4747.
- Access short-term counseling, support for caregivers, and other daily living tools through Making Life Easier, a free service for benefits-eligible employees and anyone who lives in the same household.
- Contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for free counseling and coaching around work related issues such as workplace stress, conflict with co-workers, and supervisor support.
- Get covered mental health and substance use services through your health care plan.
- Kaiser Permanente members:
- For help with access to mental health services, call 1-888-287-2680 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For help after hours, call the consulting nurse at 1-800-297-6877.
- This flyer explains your mental health care options and how to access them.
- King Care/Regence BlueShield members: Call customer service at 800-376-7926 for help finding a qualified therapist or other health care provider.
- Kaiser Permanente members:
- Download this resource sheet to learn more about benefits, programs, and self-help tools.
- Need help understanding your benefits? Contact KC.Benefits@kingcounty.gov or 206-684-1556 weekdays from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Mental health and mental illness are often misunderstood topics. How we understand and talk about mental health may impact how others reach out for support. Learn how to separate mental health myths from facts.
- Free Mental Health First Aid trainings are available to the general public through Valley Cities Behavioral Health Care. The 8-hour course trains you to notice and support people who may be experiencing a mental health or substance use concern, and connect them to appropriate professional care.
- Depression can be hard to recognize or talk about. Learn more about depression, how to help others or how to find support for yourself.
- Suicide can affect everyone. Learn more about suicide prevention and support for those affected.
Please share your feedback with the team at Balanced You so we can spread good ideas, share success stories, and bring new tools to help you feel energized and be your best. The more you tell us, the better Balanced You will be!