The CIC requires construction notification and offers these guidelines for construction activities that have the potential for impacting Metro transit or the Seattle Streetcar.
Before construction starts- Provide at least 2 weeks advanced notice for:
- Deactivation of trolley bus overhead lines (weekends only) and streetcar overhead lines (nights only when there is no streetcar service)
- Motorization of electric trolley buses without deactivation of any overhead lines (weekends only)
- Scoping / pre-construction meetings
- Phase changes and re-starts of existing projects
- Reroute requests
- Bus stops or shelters affected by construction
Please refer to the downloadable "Construction notification guidelines" document located to the right for detailed information.
Effective April 16, 2012
King County Ordinance 16943 requires prepayment of a $1000.00 fee before trolley overhead (TOH) deactivation requests can be fulfilled. Exceptions: "Work done in association with SDOT projects are exempt provided the SDOT contact information is shown on the request form."
Trolley Overhead Deactivation Requests Procedures
1) The contractor submits completed TOH Deactivation Request form to the CIC via email.
2) If the contractor is not exempt, King County Accounts Receivable (AR) sends an invoice for the deactivation fee to the contractor.
3) The contractor submits the cash or check payment in person to King County Finance & Business Operations Division.
4) CIC processes the request and sends the approved form to the contractor.
5) King County Power & Facilities sends an invoice to the contractor for the deactivation charges.
Cancellation of Trolley Overhead Deactivation Requests
1) The contractor notifies the CIC of cancellation.
2) The CIC notifies AR of the cancellation.
If the notification is made prior to the deadline, AR will issue a 50% refund of the TOH deactivation fee. Cancellations received after the deadline result in forfeiture of the fee.
Two Weeks Prior to Weekend of Deactivation
Monday 4:00 PM: Toh Deactivation Request form submitted to CIC.
The Week of the Deactivation
Monday 10:00 AM: Fee payment submitted to AR.
Thursday 4:00 PM: Cancellation of TOH deactivation requests for 50% refund.
Fee Payment Location
Department of Executive Services
Finance & Business Operations Division
500 4th Avenue, Room 620
Seattle, WA 98104
For concerns related to the fee payment process, please contact: Metro Customer Services
For concerns related to Ordinance 16943, please contact:
Larry Phillips, Councilmember
Metropolitan King County Council, District Four
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue, Room 1200
Seattle, WA 98104-3272
For Sound Transit Link Light Rail (Right Of Way) and power outage requests call 206-903-7696. If work affects both rail and buses the Contruction Information Center also needs to be notified.
Construction notification guidelines (35K .pdf)
Trolley bus motorization form (105K .doc)
Trolley bus overhead deactivation form (138K .doc)
Seattle Streetcar overhead deactivation form (127K .doc)
Seattle Streetcar right-of-way form (112K .doc)
Submittal instructions (44K .doc)
King County Roads